A non-profit, tax-exempt Montana organization formed in 1991, Montana Environmental Education Association (MEEA) envisions a day when environmental education (EE) is fully embraced, supported, and integrated into every-day experiences; when citizens of Montana are involved in learning about our environment and our relationship to it from the time they are young and continuing throughout life – in our experiences at home, at school, in our work, and in our play. When developing environmental literacy is just…natural. After all, the environment is where we live.
Montana Environmental Education Association:
- Provides an entry point for individuals and organizations seeking to be connected to and learn more about Environmental Education
- Serves as a vehicle to unify the voices of diverse elements of EE
- Connects educators with resource providers and services
- Fosters an awareness and understanding of the environment and local sense of place
- Assists in identifying and accessing funding resources
Broad support and visibility are needed to raise EE’s value and fulfill this vision. Establishing funding support for this collective effort and fostering long-term initiatives to be carried out by the whole EE community are key to MEEA’s success. The idea is in addition to the goals we aim for individually – within our professional or volunteer work and for our respective organizations – we might also aim for accomplishments as a community. Through an integrated, systematic approach to EE, together we can realize the vision of environmental literacy.
Priority Programs and Services:
- Annual Conference providing professional development, as well as OPI and PIR credit
- EE Awards recognizing leaders across Montana
- Professional Development workshops
- BugNet electronic newsletter
- Mini-grant program
- Curriculum group affiliate of MEA-MFT at the annual conference
- Affiliate of North American Association of Environmental Education (NAAEE)
- Affiliate of National EE Week
- Improving the quality and validity of EE throughout Montana
What is Environmental Education?
Environmental Education increases public awareness and knowledge about environmental issues and provides the skills necessary to make informed decisions and take responsible actions. It is based on objective and scientifically sound information. It does not advocate a particular viewpoint or course of action. It teaches individuals how to weigh various sides of an issue through critical thinking and it enhances their own problem-solving and decision making skills.